Joshua's Homecoming Video

Monday, October 25, 2010

Why Adoption?

As I have pondered my own responsibility to the widowed, orphaned, poor and outcast, I have been shaken to my core a couple of times.  When I have heard the stories of mothers in Africa giving up their children for adoption because they know they cannot feed their babies and they will starve to death.  I cannot help but ask,"Why not me, Lord?".  I cannot fathom giving up my children.  In fact, it makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. 

Or mothers who have to prostitute themselves out at night because they are so desperate for food for their children and in the process contracting HIV/AIDS.  Read the story here.  "Why not me, Lord?"  WHY? Why have You given me so much?


Or when I am rocking my babies and they finally fall asleep - completely content with a warm full tummy, how can I ignore the millions who are crying themselves to sleep tonight.  Cold and hungry....no starving. How can I ignore this? 



Again comes the why? Why Lord have you blessed me to overflowing? These verses almost haunt me.  Maybe 'convict me' is a better word choice.

.....For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required...Luke 12:48
 
and


 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?  1 John 3:16-18
I think somewhere in the midst of having my eyes opened to the great sorrow and pain of others, and knowing that someday God is going to look at my life and ask me how I cared for His least. He is going to look at MY LIFE - my blessed, full, spoiled, rich life.  How can I ignore this?  I can't.  I can't look the other way anymore.  This is where my personal call of adoption began. 

1 comment:

  1. Wendy, yes and yes and amen and amen! Amazingly well put. So biblical. So honest. I love your growing heart. Have you read "The Whole in Our Gospel" by Rich Stearns yet? If not, I could not more highly recommend to read by yourself, or better yet with a group of friends. It's soul rocking. How could have I read Scripture so long and been in church so often and MISSED God's heart so much!?!?

    ReplyDelete